Travel to Italy with Mary Ann in September, 2013
Note: For more information or for registration, contact our tour provider, Under the Italian Sun.
Toll Free: 800-594-2901
Emilia-Romagna with Mary Ann Esposito
September 11-22, 2013
About this Tour
Home to many of Italy’s most well-known culinary traditions like parmesan cheese, prosciutto of Parma, and balsamic vinegar, Emilia-Romagna is the dairy center of Italy and its highest agricultural producing region, a land of fertile countryside and historic cities and towns like Bologna, Parma, Modena and Ravenna. What better way to discover the delicious cuisine of Emilia-Romagna than with Mary Ann Esposito, host of the longest running cooking show on public television, Ciao Italia, now entering its twenty-fourth season. Mary Ann will travel with the group throughout the entire tour and conduct two hands-on cooking lessons in which she'll help you to prepare her favorite regional recipes. Her husband, wine expert Guy Esposito, will also provide an ongoing course on the wines of the region throughout the tour.
We'll spend four nights in the countryside near the historic city of Ravenna, our base for exploring the beautiful Romagna part of the region, including a tour of Ravenna city center with its world-famous mosaics, visits to nearby Comacchio, Bagnacavallo, Faenza and Cesena, plus a trip to charming Brisighella, nestled in the foothills of the Appenines. Then it’s on to Emilia and the lovely small city of Parma, with an en route tour of the city of Bologna. Our five-night Parma stay will include a tour of the city, plus visits in the area to see how the famous regional foods of parmigiano reggiano cheese, prosciutto di Parma, and traditional balsamic vinegar are produced, as well as a guided tour of nearby Modena.
So don't miss this extraordinary opportunity to travel, cook with and get to know Mary Ann as we explore the wonders of Emaila-Romagna!
￼Four-star accommodations include Hotel Villa Roncuzzi, ￼￼￼￼Hotel Villa Roncuzzi, and Grand Hotel de la Ville.
Wed 11 Sept: Departing flight from North America to Milan (air transportation not included).
Thu 12 Sept (Day 1): Arrival at Bologna BLQ airport and hello to your tour director! Private transfer to Hotel Villa Roncuzzi in the countryside near Ravenna (4 nights). Afternoon relax time on the grounds of the hotel. Evening meet Mary Ann Esposito. Welcome dinner at a local restaurant in the Ravenna-Faenza area (included).
Fri 13 Sept (Day 2): Morning guided walking tour of Ravenna historic center with our Ravenna guide. Mid-day departure for nearby Comacchio. Lunch at a local trattoria (included). Afternoon visit to Comacchio town center and its lagoon, famous for eel fishing. Free evening for dinner on your own in the hotel restaurant.
Sat 14 Sept (Day 3): Morning visit to Brisighella. Visit to a local producer of Brisighella DOP olive oil. Lunch at a local trattoria (included). Afternoon visit to the town of Faenza. Free evening for dinner on your own in the hotel restaurant.
Sun 15 Sept (Day 4): Morning visit to the town of Bagnacavallo. Afternoon visit and free time for lunch in Cesena. Late afternoon Cooking Lesson n.1 with Mary Ann at the Casa P. Artusi in Forlimpopoli followed by dinner (included).
Mon 16 Sept (Day 5): Check out and departure for Parma, with en route visit to Bologna. Guided walking tour of Bologna with our Bologna guide and visit to the food market area with Mary Ann. Free time for lunch in Bologna. Late afternoon arrival in Parma at the Grand Hotel de la Ville (5 nights). Dinner at a restaurant in Parma (included).
Tue 17 Sept (Day 6): Morning guided walking tour of Parma historic center with our Parma guide Mid-day departure for the Langhirano area south of the city. Lunch at a local trattoria (included) and afternoon visit to a local prosciutto di Parma producer. Free evening in Parma for dinner on your own.
Wed 18 Sept (Day 8): Morning visit to a local producer of parmigiano reggiano cheese. Pasta-making demonstration and lunch at a local restaurant (included). Afternoon visit to a local producer of traditional balsamic vinegar. Free evening for dinner on your own.
Thu 19 Sept (Day 7): Morning visit to Modena. Walking tour of Modena with our guide and free time for lunch. Return to Parma and late afternoon Cooking Lesson n.2 with Mary Ann at the Academia Barilla in Parma followed by dinner (included).
Fri 20 Sept (Day 9): Free Day in Parma. Farewell dinner at a local restaurant (included).
Sat 21 Sept (Day 10): Free Morning in Parma and free time for lunch on your own. After lunch departure for Malpensa. End of the day arrival in Malpensa at the Sheraton Milan Malpensa Airport (1 night). Free evening at the hotel.
Sun 22 Sept (Day 11): Walk across the pedestrian bridge from the hotel to Milan Malpensa MXP airport terminal. Goodbye to your tour director and return flight to North America.
￼￼￼Emilia-Romagna with Mary Ann Esposito 2013 tour pricing includes:
- Ten nights accommodations as listed, double occupancy room
- All breakfasts (buffet)
- All ground transportation in luxury minibus with commercially licensed driver
- Arrival airport transfer from Bologna G.Marconi BLQ airport to Ravenna area hotel Ciao Italia host Mary Ann Esposito to accompany the group for the entire tour
- Our professionally licensed tour director at disposition for the entire tour
- Our professionally licensed local tour guides for four half-day walking tours as follows:
- Ravenna, Bologna, Parma and Modena
- Two hands-on cooking lessons with Mary Ann Esposito
- Five full-course dinners (including beverages & wine) as follows:
- One dinner at a local restaurant in the Ravenna-Faenza area Two dinners at local restaurants in Parma
- One dinner following the cooking lesson in Forlimpopoli One dinner following the cooking lesson in Parma
- Four full-course lunches (including beverages & wine) as follows: One lunch at a local restaurant in Comacchio
- One lunch at a local restaurant in the Brisighella area
- Two lunches at local restaurants in the Parma area
- All special visits and special events as listed in the daily schedule All museum and site entry fees during guided tours
- All gratuities for local guides and drivers, all porterage, and all taxes
- Tour pricing is land only and does not include:
- Air transportation
- Lunches or dinners except those listed as included
- Gratuity for your tour director
- Personal items such as laundry, beverages in hotel rooms, or telephone calls
Emilia-Romagna with Mary Ann Esposito: $ 5,580 per person land. Reservation deposit of $500 per person is required Final payment is due 60 days prior to departure Single supplement $400 (double room for single use) Arrival is at Bologna G.Marconi BLQ airport Departure is from Milan Malpensa MXP airport.
Minimum 14/ Maximum 18 tour participants.