Serves 4 as a First Course
I have chosen to present these crostini with a simple salad for a sit-down first course. Of course these crostini would make a great canapé if served on a platter and passed to your guests.
For the Crostini
8 slices Baguette or Country Bread
1/4 cup Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive oil
For the Figs
6 fresh Figs, preferably Black Mission
2 tsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
2 ounces Mountain Gorgonzola, or Gorgonzola Dolce, crumbled coarsely
For the Salad to go with the Costini
2 cups washed arugula
1 cup radicchio, cored and cut into thin strips
1 cup endive, cut into thin slivers
Kosher or Sea Salt to taste
A few grinds of fresh pepper
1 tbsp. good quality Balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Prepare the fig topping: gently wash the figs and pat them dry. Cut off the tops and then cut the figs into 1/2" cubes.
2. Place the olive oil and figs into a small non-stick skillet and cook over med-high heat until the figs begin to break down. Add the balsamic vinegar and stir to combine well and then immediately off the heat. Allow the cooked figs to cool for 30 minutes before adding the crumbled gorgonzola and mixing it in very well. This mixture can be stored tightly covered in the refrigerator overnight.
3. When ready to serve preheat the oven to 350F. Fry the baguette slices in the olive oil in a non-stick skillet and when golden brown on both sides drain on paper toweling.
4. Place the crostini on a baking pan and top each with a nice pile of the fig and gorgonzola mixture. Bake in your preheated oven for 5-10 minutes until the mixture is hot and bubbling.
5. Meanwhile place the arugula, radicchio and endive in a mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper and then toss with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Divide the salad among 4 plates and then place two fig and gorgonzola crostini on each salad plate and serve.
Want More Recipes? See My Latest Book:
Mary Ann returns to her family's humble beginnings to bring us a treasure trove of more than 200 time-honored recipes.
Buy it now from Amazon for just $24.00
A Testimonial From Mario Batali:
This collection epitomizes the tradition and love that goes into all of Mary Ann Esposito's cooking. Like her award-winning TV series, this book will live on for years with all of those who cook her delicious recipes. My kids love everything Mary Ann cooks!"