Antonietta's Cicatelli with Veal Sauce / Cicatelli alla Antonietta con Salsa Vitello
SERVES 6 – 8
Cicatelli is a southern dialect word for cavatelli, little caves. This shaped pasta is perfect for capturing thick sauces and this veal sauce pairs with it nicely. You may make the sauce without the meat if you prefer.
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup ground veal
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups prepared tomato sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan and then add the garlic, onion, veal, and carrot. Sauté for about 4 minutes or until the meat is browned. Add the parsley, celery leaves, wine, and tomato sauce. Once the sauce begins to simmer, cook for 2 more minutes. Add salt to taste. Remove and discard the whole garlic cloves .
- 3 cups semolina flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 orlarge eggs
- 1 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Water, as needed
- Combine the flour with the salt.Make a well.Crack the eggs into the center of the well, add the oil and mix with a fork.(This may also be done in a food processor.)Slowly incorporate the flour into the wet ingredients until you have a workable ball of dough.Add water only if the dough is too dry.Knead the ball forminutes.Cover the dough with a clean towel and let it rest for a half hour.
- Divide the rested dough into quarters and work with one piece at a time, leaving the rest covered with a towel.On a floured surface, roll each piece of dough into 1-inch thick ropes as you would for gnocchi.Cut the rope into 1/4-inch pieces and drag each piece with two fingers across the table to make a small gnocchi shape about an inch long.As you form the cicatelli, let them rest in a single layer on floured towels so they don't stick together.Repeat this process until all the dough is used.
- 3 Cook the cicatelli in a pasta pot with salted boiling watertominutes.You may have to do this in batches of a couple dozen at a time.Drain the pasta well and pour it into the sauté pan and mix thoroughly with the veal sauce.Turn out onto a platter and serve immediately.Pass grated Pecorino cheese for sprinkling.