Nothing could get me to eat my grandmother Galasso’s beet salad. Her purple stained fingers were a tip-off that boiled beets were in the refrigerator. And now, I have trouble getting my family to eat them, so I’ve dressed them up in a zippy dressing that is very refreshing. Baking instead of boiling the beets prevents the juices and color from leaching out.
- 2 pounds (4 to 6) beets
- 1/3 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- Salt to taste
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 small head red-leaf lettuce, cleaned and separated into leaves
- Mint sprigs, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Remove any leaves from beets and cut the stems, leaving about 2 inches of stem attached. Wash and dry the beets well. Wrap each in aluminum foil and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a knife can easily be inserted. Unwrap and let cool.
- In a flat shallow serving dish, mix the remaining ingredients except the eggs, lettuce, and mint sprigs.
- Peel the beets, cut off and discard the remaining stems, and slice the beets into 1/4-inch rounds. Place beets in the marinade and gently toss with a spoon. Cover the dish and let beets marinate at room temperature for at least 2 hours.
- To serve, divide the lettuce leaves among 4 salad plates. Place some of the beets on top of each dish and garnish with a few egg slices. Add a mint sprig to each plate, if you wish. Serve immediately.
This recipe was featured on Season 4 - Episode 406.
No comments on this recipe.