Braised Lamb Shanks
Slow-cooking gives these lamb shanks flavor and tenderness
- Serves 4
- 2 tbs EVOO
- 2 lamb shanks(about 3 to 3 1/2 pounds
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups crushed canned plum tomatoes
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 2 beef bouillon cubes crushed
- 1 tbs fresh rosemary needles
- 2 tbs minced parsley
- To taste Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Heat the oil in a heavy large stovetop to oven casserole over medium-high heat. Season the shanks well on all sides with salt and pepper and brown them on all sides. Transfer to a plate, set aside.
- In the pan juices, sauté the onions until softened, add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Return the shanks back into the pot.
- In a bowl combine the beef stock, wine, puree, tomato paste, bouillon and herbs. Slowly pour over the shanks; add the rosemary.
- Bake at 325F for about 2 hours, or until the meat is very tender and easily falls away from the bone