Braised Short Ribs, Italian Style
- 2 Servesto 3
- 3 pounds (about 6) bone-in 4-inch-long English cut-short ribs.
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons McCormick Spicy Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1-1/2 tablespoons flour
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups red wine
- Dry the ribs with paper towels. In a bowl combine the coarse pepper, salt and spicy seasoning and rub mixture over the ribs. Set aside
- Heat the oil in the insert of a slow cooker or in a Dutch oven and brown the ribs well on all sides over medium heat. Brown them in batches if necessary; do not crowds them in the pot or they will steam instead of brown.
- Transfer the ribs to a dish.
- Add the onions to the pot and cook them until they begin to wilt. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and cook, stirring the onions to coat them well with the flour. Cook 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste and continue stirring to coat the onions; the mixture should be dark red in color.
- Return the ribs to the pot and slowly pour in the wine. If using a slow cooker, set the timer for 4 hours on low heat; if using a Dutch oven, cover and place in a preheated 325F oven on the lowest rack and cook until fork tender, about 3 hours.
- Serve 2 ribs per person along with some of the sauce. Serve as is or accompanied by mashed potatoes. Quinoa, noodles, rice or polenta.
No comments on this recipe.