Buckwheat Pasta with Cabbage / Pizzocheri
This pasta called pizzoccheri is a specialty of Valtellina where buckwheat or grano saraceno grows. It has always held a place in mountain cuisine where the land is less fertile. Buckwheat flour needs to be combined with all purpose flour (00) in order to get the gluten needed. Buckwheat flour has no gluten.
Serves 8 – 10
- 1 2/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 2-3 tablespoons milk or water
- 1 large egg
- 2 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 head Savoy cabbage, leaves separated and washed
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, (1 stick)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 1/3 cups coarsely grated Bitto cheese or Fontina cut into small pieces
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- Combine the flours and salt on a work surface. Make a mound and well in the center of the flour. Add 2 tablespoons of the milk or water and the egg.
- Mix the water and egg mixture with your hands to break up the egg or use a fork. Move the flour into the center of the well with your hands and knead until a ball of dough forms. If you need more liquid add it a few drops at a time.
- Knead the dough until smooth; then cover and let rest about 30 minutes.
- Cut dough into 4 pieces and roll each piece through a pasta machine on the next to last setting. Cut into 4 inch squares.
- In a pot of salted, boiling water cook the cabbage for 5 minutes. Scoop out and drain. Add the potatoes to the pot and cook for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside. In the same pot cook the pasta until al dente. Then drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the garlic and sage leaves.
- Brush a 9 x 12 casserole dish with butter.
- Begin making layers of cabbage, potatoes and pasta. Sprinkle each layer with some of the Bitto or Fontina cheese. Pour a little of the butter and sage sauce over each layer.
- Place the casserole under a pre-heated broiler and broil until hot.
- Sprinkle the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese over the top and serve hot.
This recipe was featured on Season 23 - Episode 2312.
Hey buddy, One of my favourite food is Buckwheat Pasta with Cabbage. Hey i want to know that is gluten free?