Cabbage and Bean Croquettes / Croquette di Verza Fagioli
Serves 4 to 6
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/4 pound Speck Alto Adige, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound cremini or button mushrooms, diced
- 3 cups shredded Savoy or regular cabbage
- 1 cup canned, cannellini beans, drained, rinsed and mashed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sunflower oil to fry
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil, add onion and Speck and cook until onion begins to wilt. Add garlic and cook 1 minute; add mushrooms and cook until they begin to give off liquid. Stir in the cabbage; cover the pan and allow cabbage to wilt, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and add the beans; combine mixture well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When cool enough to handle, take small handfuls of the mixture and form into croquettes, about the size of small egg. Roll each one in flour and shake off the excess. Set aside on a plate until all are formed. You can make these larger or smaller, depending on weather you’ll be serving them as an appetizer a side dish or an entrée.
- Pour 1/2 cup sunflower oil into a large sauté pan. Fry the croquettes a few at a time until golden brown; turn them occasionally in the oil to brown them evenly. Transfer them to absorbent paper to drain.
- Best warm.
This recipe was featured on Season 29 - Episode 2925.
No comments on this recipe.