Carrot and Cauliflower Soup/Minestra di Carote e Cavolfiore
A classic soup of the Piedmont that is thickened with sieved rice.
- 1 small head cauliflower, separated into florets
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio olive oil
- 2 large leeks, finely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup Arborio rice
- 3 large carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt to taste
- Grinding white or black pepper
- Fresh parsley
- Steam the florets in a double boiler until tender, drain, let cool then finely chop
- Heat oil in a medium size sauté pan over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook them until soft but not browned. Set aside.
- Bring broth to boil in a large saucepan. Add the carrots and rice. Reduce the heat to simmer and let cook until the rice is completely soft, about 25 minutes. (You can also precook the rice or use leftover rice to cut down on the cooking time.)
- Add the cauliflower, cooked leeksandcream.
- Transfer the soup, in batches,to a food processor, blender or use an immersion blender to puree until smooth.
- Pour soup into a fine meshed sieve and place over a large bowl. After the soup has drained push the remaining solids through with a wooden spoon. This will help to thicken the soup.
- Serve the soup hot with a sprinkling of parsley over the top.
This recipe was featured on Season 24 - Episode 2410.