Carrot and Lemon Soup / Zuppa di Carrote e Limone
6 to 8 servings
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove , sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 baking potato, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded fresh basil or flat-leaf parsley
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup crÃ¨me fraiche
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- CrÃ¨me fraiche and flat-leaf parsley for garnish
- In a large saucepan or flameproof casserole, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter. Add the onion and garlic, cover and cook over low heat until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, tomatoes, potato, basil, stock, salt, pepper and remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to moderately low and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Puree the vegetables in a food processor or with a hand blender until smooth. Add the crÃ¨me fraiche and hot sauce. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. (The recipe can be made to this point up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate).
- Before serving, reheat the soup and stir in the lemon juice. Ladle the soup into individual soup bowls. Garnish each serving with a dollop of crÃ¨me fraiche and a leaf of parsley.
This recipe was featured on Season 17 - Episode 1703.
No comments on this recipe.