Chef R.J. Ryan's Kale and Bean Bruschetta
Our thanks to Chef Ryan Joyce for this wonderful recipe.
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, deveined and cut into ribbons – 1 cup of packed kale after deveining
- 1/2 cup diced pancetta
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1 or 2 cloves , chopped
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 stems rosemary
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 can cannellini beans, well rinsed
- Quartered patio tomatoes for garnish
- Grilled or toasted slices of good Italian or French bread
- Drizzle a tablespoon or 2 of olive oil in a heavy saucepan. Add the pancetta, onion and garlic and for a couple of minutes, until the pancetta starts to crisp. Add the rosemary stems and the kale and mix to coat with the rendered fat. Cook for another minute or two.
- Stir in the chicken stock and cook for about 10 minutes. This may be done covered or uncovered.
- Stir in the beans and cook another 5 minutes. Remove the rosemary stems, then mash about half of the beans right in the pan. The texture should now be creamy from the beans but still have some texture. Allow the mixture to cool a bit.
- Spread the mixture on top of the grilled or toasted bread slices and garnish with quartered tomatoes.
This recipe was featured on Season 28 - Episode 2823.