- Step 1 Make the cherry topping
- 2 lbs pitted fresh or frozen cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- Step 2 Make the dough
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1 tsp dry active yeast (used Caputo)
- ½ cup warm water (110F)
- 4 tbs unsalted butter, softened plus extra for greasing pan
- 1 large egg
- Zest one large orange
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 cups (approx) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 sliced almonds
- 1/8 cup confectioner’s sugar
- Place cherries in a large mixing bowl and add the sugar, lemon juice and zest. Mix well and let the cherries rest covered for several hours or, even better, overnight. The cherries should have given off quite a bit of the liquid.
- Place the cherries and their liquid in a large saucepan. Simmer, covered, for about 20-30 minutes, or until the cherries are quite soft and the liquid has thickened enough so that a wooden spoon will leave an open trail behind it when it is scraped it along the bottom of the saucepan.
- For the dough
- Pour the water into a large bowl and add the yeast; stir to dissolve then add the milk.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the butter with the egg, zest and sugar. Stir into the yeast mixture. Add th3 cups of the flour and stir in or use your hands. Add the salt and up to another cup of flour to create a ball of dough. Transfer to a floured surface and knead into a smooth ball. Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and brush with butter. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375F
- When ready to bake: punch dough down with your hands and transfer it to the parchment lined baking sheet. Spread the dough out with your hands so that it an even thickness. The dough does not have to reach the edges of the pan.
- Spread the cherry topping evenly over the surface of the dough. Cover and allow to rise for 20 minutes.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the dough is golden brown on top and bottom. Transfer to a cooling rack.
- When cool, sprinkle the nuts over the top and dust liberally with confectioners sugar. Cut into squares to serve.
This recipe was featured on Season 30 - Episode 3003.