Cherry Tomato Marmalade
- 6 cups halved cherry tomatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice plus the zest
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 six-inch piece whole cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground ginger
- 1 peeled whole shallot or small onion, studded with whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- Put the tomatoes in a large pot with all the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then lower the heat to simmer and stir to combine everything well. Cook uncovered over low heat until the jam is thick, about 45 minutes; The jam should be thick and spreadable, not thin and soupy. Discard the onion, cinnamon stick and bay leaves.
- Ladle the jam into pint size jars, cap and refrigerate or freeze for up to 1 year. For a smoother jam, use an immersion blender.
- Great on toast, cheese platter, with burrata or soft cheeses like taleggio and Gorgonzola dolce.
Can I waterbath this instead of freeze it? If so how long?
Can I water bath this recipe. If so, how long?
Can I water bath this recipe.
Can I water can this?
Cooking the cherry tomatoes for 1.5 hours and still soupy
I keep dehydrated onions. For Charlene, add 1/2 tsp dehydrated onions and cook on the stovetop for 10 minutes. If still too soupy, do the same again. Works great, and good flavor.
This recipe is beautiful, thank you so much!