Chocolate Lava Cake
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature plus extra for greasing ramekins
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup baking cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Butter and dust ten 4-ounce aluminum ramekins with either cocoa or flour and tap out the excess powder. Porcelain ramekins will also work well; cupcake tins are not suitable, since once the cakes are baked, they are turned out one-at-a-time, onto serving plates. Put the ramekins onto a cookie sheet to make handling the filled ramekins easier.
- In a bowl cream the butter and sugar until very smooth and light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and egg yolk, one at a time. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour and cocoa together and blend the dry mixture into the wet until well combined. Mix in the heavy cream until the batter is a uniform color with no streaks.
- Divide the batter evenly between the ramekins. You may do this with a spoon or by putting the batter into a pastry bag and piping the batter into the ramekins.
- Place the sheet with the ramekins in the oven and bake for 8 to 9 minutes. The tops should look set but still be jiggly. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 1 minute before inverting onto plates. Let the cakes sit for 10 seconds before lifting up the ramekins. Serve immediately, with a dusting of confectioner’s sugar, ice cream, chocolate sauce or fresh fruit.
This recipe was featured on Season 29 - Episode 2924.
No comments on this recipe.