Cream of Mushroom Soup
Here is a wonderful cream of mushroom soup that does not need exotic mushrooms to create its rich taste; the common button mushroom does a fine job!
- INGREDIENTS6 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 pounds sliced mushrooms, maitake, shitake, chanterrells, morels, button or a mix
- 3 tablespoons fresh minced thyme leaves, plus a few sprigs for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup brandy
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream or fat free half/half
- DIRECTIONSMelt the butter in a soup pot over medium heat; stir in the onion, celery and cayenne. Cook until all the ingredients are soft. Stir in garlic and cook until it softens. Stir in the mushrooms, thyme and add salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the mushrooms give off their liquid and begin to brown. Stir in the brandy and cook until the mushrooms are glazed looking. Pour in the stock and return everything to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer the soup uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and puree the soup with a handheld immersion blender. Or transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and puree in batches.
- Reheat the soup and slowly stir in the cream. Adjust seasoning and serve hot with a sprig of thyme or a slice of sauteed bread over the top.
This recipe was featured on Season 17 - Episode 1711.
No comments on this recipe.