Escarole Pizza / Pizza di Scarole
Is pizza good for you? Yes, especially when it is thin-crusted and topped with escarole, black olives, raisins, capers and anchovies! And you can make it using already prepared pizza dough from the supermarket. Or if you have the time, make the dough from scratch, using one of our easy yeast dough recipes.
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1 large head escarole
- 3 tablespoons Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 ounces black olives in brine, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers in salt, well rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 5 anchovies in salt, well rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins soaked in water for 10 minutes, drained, and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Fine sea salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Separate the leaves of the escarole and wash them well. Cut the leaves into large pieces and put them in a large sauté pan with 1 cup water. Bring the water to a boil and cook the escarole uncovered, pushing it down under the water with a wooden spoon, for 3 minutes. Drain it and set it aside.
- In the same pan, cook the olives, capers and anchovies in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil for 2 or 3 minutes, stirring often. Return the escarole to the pan and cook a few minutes more, stirring to mix thoroughly. Set the mixture aside to cool.
- Roll out the dough to a 14-inch circle; place it on a lightly greased pizza and brush the dough with the remaining olive oil. Spread the escarole mixture over the top of the dough. Sprinkle on the raisins, pine nuts and salt.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the edges and bottom crust of the pizza are nicely browned. Serve hot, cut into wedges.
This recipe was featured on Season 16 - Episode 1626.
No comments on this recipe.