Farfalle with Kale Sauce / Farfalle con Salsa di Cavolo Nero
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 cup thinly sliced leeks, white part only
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 to 1 pound kale, leaves only, washed and shredded
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 pound farfalle, rigatoni or fusilli
- Grated zest of one large lemon
- 3/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Salt to taste
- In a medium sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat; stir in the leeks and cook just until they begin to wilt; stir in the garlic and continue cooking just until it softens. Cover and keep warm.
- Fill a 4-quart pot with water and bring to a boil. Stir in the salt. Add the kale and cook until the kale wilts. Use a slotted spoon or spider to drain and transfer the kale to the sauté pan. Mix it well with the leek mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor.
- Cook the pasta in the same pot the kale was in until al dente. It should be cooked through but not mushy; if the pasta does not hold its shape, it is overcooked.
- Remove 1/4 cup of the cooking water and set aside. Drain the pasta and transfer it back to the pot.
- Process the kale mixture adding 2 tablespoons of the reserved water. The sauce should have a smooth but not too thin consistency. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more water. It should have the consistency of heavy cream.
- Add the sauce to the pot with the pasta; stir well to combine over low heat until it is hot. Add the lemon zest and cheese and mix well. Salt to taste.
- Serve hot.
This recipe was featured on Season 29 - Episode 2919.