Serves 6 as main dish or side
- 1 cup farro
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra light olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 cup tomato sauce (homemade if possible)
- 1 to 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put the farro in saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until the farro is almost tender. Drain it and set aside.
- Heat the oil in the saucepan; add the onion, celery and carrot. Season with salt and pepper and let the veggies cook until they begin to wilt. Add the garlic and the beef; cook until the meat begins to brown. Add the wine and let it almost completely evaporate. Add the tomato sauce and 1 cup of the broth. Add the farro and simmer the ingredients covered for about 20 minutes. The mixture should thicken. Add more broth if mixture seems dry. Cook until the farro is completely tender but not mushy. Sprinkle with the cheese and serve hot.
This recipe was featured on Season 23 - Episode 2317.