Makes 4 servings
- 2 slices fresh bread, crust removed and bread crumbled into fine consistency
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup farro covered in water and soaked for 2 hours or overnight
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 pound Fontina cheese, cut into bits
- Grinding black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup toasted bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups pesto cream sauce (See below.)
- Place the crumbled bread in a small bowl and add the milk; stir to moisten well then set aside.
- Drain the farro and place in a soup pot. Cover the farro with beef broth, add the bay leaf and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to simmer, cover and cook until the farro is tender. Drain and place it in a bowl. Discard the bay leaf. Add the garlic, moistened bread, basil, cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Lightly oil a casserole dish.
- With wet hands form tangerine size meatballs and roll each one in the toasted bread crumbs. Place them in the baking dish as you form them.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with tomato or pesto cream sauce on the side.
- To make pesto cream sauce:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup pesto sauce
- Heat the cream slowly in a small sauce pan; stir in the pesto sauce and mix well.
This recipe was featured on Season 23 - Episode 2317.