Fettucine with Saffron and Asparagus
Saffron is used a lot in the province of L’Aquila. The Navelli Plain produces Italy’s finest saffron product.
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound fresh asparagus cut into thirds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch saffron powder or threads
- 1 pound fettucine or spaghetti alla chitarra
- Grated pecorino cheese for sprinkling on top
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the onion; cook until it begins to soften, then add the asparagus pieces, salt and pepper and cook until the asparagus is tender. Set 3/4 cup of the asparagus mixture aside and puree the rest. Transfer to a small pot and keep covered over low heat.
- Cook the spaghetti until al dente; drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water. Dissolve the saffron in the reserved water then mix it into the pureed asparagus.
- Mix the spaghetti with the asparagus sauce; transfer to a platter and top with the reserved asparagus pieces and sprinkle with pecorino cheese.
This recipe was featured on Season 22 - Episode 2208.