Fig and Zucchini Bread / Pane con Fici e Zucca
Makes two loaves
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup olive oil, sunflower or sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla or Fior di Sicilia extract*
- 2 cups well-dried shredded zucchini
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup diced fresh or dried figs
- Grated zest of one large lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease two 8-inch loaf pans with butter and dust the pans with flour, shaking out any excess. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a mixer until light and fluffy looking. Beat in the sugar a little at a time. Beat in the oil and extract. Stir in the zucchini.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda, salt and baking powder together.
- Combine the egg and flour mixture until well blended. Gently stir in the nuts, lemon zest and figs. Divide mixture and fill the loaf pans 3/4 full. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a cake tester comes out clean and the tops are firm to the touch.
- Cool to room temperature before removing from the pans. Perfect with tea or when you have too much zucchini!
- Glaze if desired with Confectioner’s sugar mixed with Half ‘n’ Half.
- *Find Fior di Sicilia at: https://shop.kingarthurflour.com/items/fiori-di-sicilia-1-oz
This recipe was featured on Season 29 - Episode 2912.
No comments on this recipe.