Fish chowder is so easy to make and perfect for cold days and you can buy already cut up fish to make it; this one uses salmon and haddock but any combination is good. This goes together fast and is even better the next day
- Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1-1/2 teaspoons or to taste salt
- Grinding black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice
- 1 pound chunk pieces firm fish
- 1 1/2 cups clam or fish broth
- 12 Oneounce can evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup light cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Add carrot, onion celery to pan and cook until mixture softens.
- Stir in turmeric, salt, pepper, Chinese Five Spice and coat vegetables well.
- Add fish chunks and gently toss with vegetables.
- Add clam broth, milk and bring mixture to just under the boil.
- Add cream; stir gently, lower heat, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add parsley. Serve
I would’ve never thought of using clam juice! Thank you for getting me away from chicken stock & back on track! For those cold PNW days, this is perfect, & hard to share, lol!
This is a great way to use white fish. In Santa Barbara we catch a lot and rock cod, so this is perfect. Saw this on KCET, and baked white fish with tomatoes and lemon.