Fresh Plum Tart/La Torta di Susine Fresche
MAKES ONE 9 OR 10-INCH TART
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 8 large fresh plums, halved, pitted and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 Juice oflemon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coarse white sugar
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Combine the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender, food processor or fork until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. The mixture will be very powdery. Pat the mixture evenly into a 9 or 10 inch well-buttered tart pan. Set aside.
- Toss the plum slices with the lemon juice, then the 1/4 cup sugar and arrange the slices on the crust in an overlapping pattern filling in the entire surface.
- Combine the cinnamon, coarse sugar, cloves, and almonds in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over the top of the tart.
- Bake the tart for 15 minutes.
- While the tart is baking, whisk the egg yolks in a small bowl with the heavy cream. Pour evenly over the top and bake 30 minutes longer or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove the tart from the oven and cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve warm.
This recipe was featured on Season 21 - Episode 2111.