Fried Dough with Sugar and Cinnamon
- 1/1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 2-3/4 cups Caputo flour
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour or bread flour
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- Olive oil for bowl
- Vegetable oil to fry
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbs ground cinnamon
- Pour ½ cup of the water into a large bowl and stir in the yeast. Allow it to stand for 10 minutes, then stir in remaining water.
- all the Caputo flour with 1 cup of the all-purpose flour and mix into the yeast mixture; when it is still rough and soupy looking, stir in the salt.
- Add the remaining flour only if the dough is super soft. You do not want a solid ball of dough but something that is slightly tacky.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow it to rise at room temperature overnight until double in size and lots of little holes appear in the dough.
- Gently turn dough out onto a floured surface but do not knead. Divide dough into 12 to 16 pieces and shape them into small rounds about 6 inches in diameter. Place them on floured towels.
- Place the sugar and cinnamon in a large paper bag. Shake and set aside.
- Heat 4 cups oil in a heavy-duty pot. When it is 375F, fry the pizzette a few at a time until golden brown. Drain and coat them in the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Best eaten warm.
This recipe was featured on Season 30 - Episode 3007.