Fried Zucchini Roman Style / Zucchine Fritte alla Romana
- 4 medium size zucchini aboutinches long, cut into thin strips lengthwise then cut in half intoinch long strips*
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Asiago cheese, sliced or grated
- Minced fresh or dried oregano
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil to fry
- Place the zucchini strips in a colander; sprinkle them with salt and place a weight on top of them (like a can of tomatoes) and let them stand for 30 minutes. Rinse and dry the strips.
- Using two strips, make a sandwich with some of the cheese in the middle. Dip the sandwich in flour on both sides; then in beaten egg to which the oregano has been added and, finally, coat them in the breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Heat 2 cups vegetable oil in a heavy-duty pot to 375°F and fry the sandwiches a few at a time until golden brown. Drain on brown paper or paper towels and serve hot.
- *A mandoline produces uniform slices easily. We used a Norpro off-camera:
This recipe was featured on Season 29 - Episode 2912.
No comments on this recipe.