Gingerbread Men and Women
Makes 3 dozen
- 2 1/4 cups all- purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 3 tsps ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 2 1/2 tsps ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 stick butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 Orange - zest
- 2 tbsps orange juice
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cloves, ginger, allspice, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Stir to mix well. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer or with a handheld mixer, beat the sugar and butter until very fluffy; beat in the egg, molasses, zest and juice. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and combine until a uniform looking cookie dough forms.
- Gather the dough up and wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake; preheat the oven to 350F
- Line several baking sheets with parchment paper or butter the sheet and set side.
- Working with small amounts of dough at a time, roll it out on a floured surface or right on the parchment paper to a thickness of no more that 1/4 inch or even thinner if you. Use cookie cutters to cut out the dough and arrange the cookies on the baking sheets. Bake for about 8- 10 minutes or until the cookies are firm to the touch. Cool on the baking sheets before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- To freeze: wrap several cookies together in Press N’Seal and place in plastic bags. Label and freeze.