Homemade Vegetable Stock
This rich tasting vegetable broth is easy to make and can be frozen for months so it is always on hand.
- 1 large yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery with tops, chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 4 orsprigs fresh Italian parsley
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups tomato juice
- Put all the vegetables in a soup pot, add the salt, and just enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to simmer. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Keep an eye on the water and if there is not enough liquid covering the vegetables, add a little more. Tie the parsley, thyme, and bay leaf together with kitchen string and add it to the pot. Stir in the tomato juice. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Pour the broth and vegetables into a colander lined with damp cheesecloth set over another pot. Press on the solids with the back of a spoon to release all the juices. Discard the solids. The broth is ready to use. It can be refrigerated for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 3 months.
- Makes about 2 quarts
This recipe was featured on Season 24 - Episode 2415.