Joe Faro's Lobster Ravioli
- 2 1 1/2 pound lobsters (Boiled or steamed, cleaned, shucked and diced)
- 4 cups hand dipped ricotta cheese
- Zest and juice of one Lemon
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- EGG WASH
- 1 whole egg
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Whisk together and put aside until you start to assemble the ravioli.
- 2 cups flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup pasta water
- 1 Juice oflemon
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup diced lobster
- TO MAKE THE FILLING:
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well with a spatula. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until the ravioli are read to be assembled.
- TO MAKE THE DOUGH:
- Place 2 cups of flour on a board and create a well. Add the eggs, water, salt and olive oil into the well. Using a fork or your fingers, slowly incorporate the flour into the wet ingredients. You may not need all the flour; use only enough to make a soft, but firm, ball.
- When the ingredients are fully incorporated, start kneading the dough with your hands to make a smooth ball. . Cover and let rest for 45 minutes.
- Lightly flour your work surface and start rolling out the dough to begin the thinning process. Cut the circle in half and stretch it with your hands to about 4 inches wide. Using a pasta machine set on the highest number, run the dough through producing a longer sheet. Keep running the dough through until you reach 1/8 inch thickness.
- Lay the long sheet of pasta on your work surface and lightly brush the egg wash over the front half of the sheet. Place a generous tablespoon of the lobster filling on the strip of pasta, leaving a 1-inch border all around the filling. You should be able to form 8 or 9 ravioli on the sheet.
- Carefully bring up the top half of the dough over to the edge nearest you to enclose the lobster filling. Seal the edges firmly. Then use a ravioli cutter to trim the ravioli into uniform shapes.
- Meanwhile make the sauce. Put the butter in a saucepan and melt it. Add the reserved pasta water and let the mixture thicken for several minutes. Add the lemon juice and the diced lobster.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and gently add the ravioli. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Save 1/4 cup of the pasta water to add to the butter sauce. As the ravioli are cooked, gently remove them from the water with a slotted spoon and add them to a warm serving bowl. Gently pour the butter sauce over the ravioli. Garnish with minced parsley and a whole lobster tail.
This recipe was featured on Season 27 - Episode 2712.