Lettuce and Green Bean Soup / Zuppa di Lattuga e Fagiolini
My grandmothers looked upon green leafy vegetables as good candidates for soup. But I thought they went too far when I watched them making soup from lettuce! They used bitter lettuce, but I have changed their recipe and use romaine. This is a refreshing soup in the summer, but since the ingredients are available year-round, you can enjoy it any time.
- INGREDIENTS2 heads (2 pounds total) romaine lettuce
- 6 ounces fresh green beans, cut into thirds (about 2 cups )
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups cubed bread slices
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1/2 cup King Arthur™ Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 6 cups hot beef broth
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup grated Asiago or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- DIRECTIONSRemove the cores from the lettuce, tear into pieces, and place in a colander. Rinse the lettuce well and let drain.
- Cook the beans in boiling salted water until tender, but not mushy, about 7 minutes. Drain the beans well and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Place the bread cubes on a baking sheet and toast until nicely browned, about 10 minutes. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- In a soup pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and sauté until limp but not brown. Sprinkle on the flour and mix with a wooden spoon until incorporated. Mixture will appear pasty but will smooth out. Add the hot broth and continue to stir with a whisk until the mixture begins to boil. Add the lettuce, stir the mixture well, lower the heat, cover the pot, and cook for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the soup in a food processor or blender in batches and process until smooth. Return the soup to the pot and keep warm over low heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and cream. Add 1 cup of the soup to the egg mixture and whisk to blend. Add the egg mixture to the soup pot and whisk for about 4 or 5 minutes. Add the beans, cheese, nutmeg, and remaining salt to the soup and stir well.
- To serve, ladle the hot soup into individual bowls, sprinkle a few toasted bread cubes on top of each, and serve at once.
- The recipe is from NELLA CUCINA by Mary Ann Esposito, published by William Morrow and Company Inc., in 1993.
This recipe was featured on Lettuce and Green Bean Soup / Zuppa di Lattuga e Fagiolini - Episode 509.
No comments on this recipe.