Ligurian Potato Loaf
Serves 6 to 8
- 6 medium potatoes, scrubbed
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten with a fork
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Grinding of black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green beans, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup fresh or frozen baby carrots
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup peas
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Line a 10 x 5 1/2 x 3-inch loaf pan with aluminum foil and allow it to hang over the sides. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan. Brush the parchment and foil with 2 tablespoons melted butter and dust the pan with dry breadcrumbs and refrigerate.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Poke the potatoes in several places with a fork and microwave them on the baked potato setting. Or boil the potatoes in their skins until a fork can easily pierce them. Cool, peel and rice or mash them. Add 2 tablespoons butter, milk, eggs, salt and a grinding of black pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a sauté pan; cook the onion until it softens; stir in the garlic and cook until it softens; add the beans and carrots and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the zucchini and cook for 2 minutes. Add the peas. Cool slightly; season with salt and pepper.
- Add vegetables, basil and cheese to the potatoes and combine well.
- Spread the mixture in the loaf pan. Drizzle remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over the top. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until the top is golden brown and it is heated through. Let rest a few minutes, then unmold. Slice to serve.
This recipe was featured on Season 28 - Episode 2810.