Lina's Onion Pastelle
SERVES 8 TO 10
Lina DeGesu makes these tasty appetizers using an edible wild hyacinth bulb that is available locally in Altamura, Italy. Small onions will also work well.
- 1 pound small onions
- 2 eggs
- Dash of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons beer or 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup King Arthur™ Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil for frying
- Clean the onions and boil them in salted water until they are quite soft when pierced by a fork. Drain them well and set aside to cool.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the eggs, salt and pepper, and flour together to make a fairly thin batter. Add the beer or baking powder. Mash the onions and add them to the batter and mix well.
- Heat a large frying pan and add enough olive oil to give a depth of 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep in the pan. When the oil is hot, drop the onion batter, a spoonful at a time, into the pan, leaving enough room between fritters so they don't stick together as they are cooking. This may mean cooking them in batches. As they brown on one side, turn the fritters over so that both sides are evenly golden brown. When browned, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and serve immediately.
- Recipe featured in program 2523
This recipe was featured on Season 25 - Episode 2522.
No comments on this recipe.