Little Rice Balls with Mushrooms and Mozzarella/Crocchette di Riso ai Funghi e Mozzarella
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in warm water forminutes, then drained and chopped.
- 4 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 ounces Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 1/2 cups hot vegetable broth
- 1 envelope powdered saffron dissolved in 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 ball mozzarella cheese, cut into small bits
- 2 cups plain dry bread crumbs
- 4 egg whites, whisked until frothy
- Filippo Berio extra light olive oil to fry
- Heat the olive oil in a 2 quart saucepan; add the garlic and rice and cook until the rice crackles and is well coated in the oil but is not browned. Stir in the wine and allow it to evaporate. Begin adding the broth a ladle at a time allowing the rice to absorb it before adding more. Cook until rice is al dente. Stir in the saffron and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and add the chopped mushrooms with their liquid. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool to room temperature.
- With your hands scoop up about 1/4 cup of rice and make a small indentation in the middle. Place a piece or two of the cheese in the hollow then top with another quarter cup of rice and enclose the cheese and compact it into a ball.
- Coat the rice balls in breadcrumbs, then coat in the egg whites and then in bread crumbs again.
- Allow to “dry” on a tray for 10 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile heat 6 cups of the olive oil to 375°F in a deep heavy duty pot or fryer.
- Fry the rice balls a few at a time until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with fresh tomato sauce on the side.
This recipe was featured on Season 24 - Episode 2417.