Little Wine Cookies / Biscottini al Vino
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 4-1/2 cups Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 egg plus 1 tablespoon water, mixed together for egg wash
- Makes about six dozen. In an electric mixer on medium speed, blend together the sugar, oil, and wine. Sift the flour and baking powder together, then add to the sugar mixture and blend together at medium speed until a soft dough forms. The dough should not be sticky, but soft and smooth
- Transfer the dough to a bowl. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. Once chilled, the dough is very easy to work .
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- To form the cookies, break off small pieces and roll them with the palm of your hand to form a 4-inch rope that is 1/2 inch thick. Bring the ends together and pinch them tightly, forming a circle that looks like a miniature bagel.
- Place the cookies 1/2 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Brush the tops of each cookie with the egg wash. Bake the cookies for 17 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are firm to the touch and the bottoms are golden brown
- Remove the cookies to a cooling rack and cool completely. Store the unused cookies in airtight containers.
No comments on this recipe.