Marinated Mushrooms - Episode 2718
- 3 pounds meaty mushrooms, porcini, button, shitake, Baby Bella, cremini, oyster
- 4 cups red wine vinegar
- Coarse sea salt
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 dried hot chili peppers, split lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon toasted fennel seeds and 1 tablespoon black peppercorns, slightly crushed
- Wipe the mushrooms well with damp paper towels or use a mushroom brush. Trim ends and cut mushrooms into thick slices. Place them on dehydrator racks and dry them until the texture of a dried apricot, bendable but not crispy. Wrap the slices in pieces of cheesecloth and tie with kitchen string.
- Bring the vinegar to a rolling boil in a pan big enough to hold all the mushrooms. Lower to a low boil and add the mushrooms; boil for about 5 minutes. Fish out the cheesecloth bags and drain; untie and transfer the slices to clean towels and let dry.
- In a medium size bowl, mix the olive oil with salt, chili peppers, oregano and crushedfennel seeds and peppercorns. Add mushrooms and toss well to combine.
- Transfer mushroom mixture to small sterilized jars. Top with olive oil, cap and refrigerate.
- Use them as part of an antipasto with roasted peppers, dried tomatoes in oil, small onions in oil, eggplant and or zucchini in oil or serve them on top of grilled bread.
This recipe was featured on Season 27 - Episode 2718.