Mascarpone Cake with Berries
Use mascarpone cheese to make this delicate not-too-sweet moist cake studded with fresh berries and cut yourself a wedge to go with tea or coffee for an afternoon snack.
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 cups fresh blackberries, blueberries or raspberries, divided
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Butter and line a 9 x 1-1/2 inch cake pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt and orange zest.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, 3/4 cup sugar, eggs, extract and cheese until smooth. (Alternately use a hand mixer.)
- Mix the dry ingredients with the egg mixture.
- Dust 1 cup of berries with 1 tablespoon flour and fold them into the batter. Transfer into the cake pan and bake until firm and golden brown, about 35 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Place the remaining 1 cup berries and the 2 tablespoons sugar in small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the berries begin to exude their juice. Lower the heat and continue cooking until the mixture thickens slightly. Cool and set aside.
- To serve: Dust the cake with confectioners’ sugar and cut into wedges. Serve with some of the berry sauce spooned over the top.
This recipe was featured on Season 28 - Episode 2815.
All I can say is ….yum. simple and delicious!
I have been watching her show, for at least 15 yrs, love her recipe, and also enjoy seeing different parts of country. Two years ago, my husband and I went to Naples, Italy, and who do you think was there? Yes Maryann Esposito . That added to my wonderful trip, and I have a photo with her, now my husband is also hooked to her show. Thank you Maryann, for those wonderful recipes, and being born in Italy it always brings me back.
Just discovered on the Hungry channel, learned a lot from this episode already. I had no idea mascarpone could be made so easily at home, great recipes and tips!
Thank you for teaching me to make some of these wonderful Italian recipes. You have been my teacher and I can pass my knowledge on to my grandchildren.
I am making it today for the second time and it is a scrumptious dessert. I put in more than one cup of the berries this time. I’m thinking of doing it again and doing a lemon blueberry cake.
I found this wonderful lady about 6 months ago in my Create PBS station I’ve learned a lot from her and have made some of her recipes. Thank you