Mascarpone Cake with Berries
Use mascarpone cheese to make this delicate not-too-sweet moist cake studded with fresh berries and cut yourself a wedge to go with tea or coffee for an afternoon snack.
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 cups fresh blackberries, blueberries or raspberries, divided
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Butter and line a 9 x 1-1/2 inch cake pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt and orange zest.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, 3/4 cup sugar, eggs, extract and cheese until smooth. (Alternately use a hand mixer.)
- Mix the dry ingredients with the egg mixture.
- Dust 1 cup of berries with 1 tablespoon flour and fold them into the batter. Transfer into the cake pan and bake until firm and golden brown, about 35 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Place the remaining 1 cup berries and the 2 tablespoons sugar in small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the berries begin to exude their juice. Lower the heat and continue cooking until the mixture thickens slightly. Cool and set aside.
- To serve: Dust the cake with confectioners’ sugar and cut into wedges. Serve with some of the berry sauce spooned over the top.
This recipe was featured on Season 28 - Episode 2815.