Mighty Mac and Cheese Timballo
- Cheese Sauce
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 12-ounce cans evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 cup grated Italian Fontina cheese
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Brie cheese in bits
- For the pasta
- 1 pound short cut pasta (ex: elbow macaroni)
- 1 1/2 cups diced salami, pepperoni or ham
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour until a smooth paste forms; do not let it brown. Slowly whisk in the milk and cream until the mixture is not lumpy.
- Add the salt, nutmeg and the cheeses and continue whisking until the mixture thickens and coats a spoon. Cover and set aside.
- Cook the pasta until very al dente in a separate pot; drain and add the pasta to the cream sauce and mix until well combined. Mix in the salami, pepperoni or ham and peas and combine well.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Cover with a sheet of foil and bake for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake 5 minutes longer.
- If using a spring form pan, unlatch the side and run a butter knife along the inside edges of the pan to loosen the sides. Lift off the ring. Place the timballo on a dish. Use a sharp knife to cut into wedges to serve.
- If using a casserole dish, scoop the pasta to serve.
No comments on this recipe.