Mondovi’ Apple Cake/Torta di Mele di Mondovi'
- Serves 8
- 9-inch spring form pan, buttered and lined with parchment paper.
- 3 large Golden Delicious or Pipin apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1-cup plus 2-tablespoons sugar
- ¼-cup dry Marsala wine
- 5-tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1-1/3-cups all-purpose flour
- 1-teaspoon baking powder
- ¼-teaspoon salt
- Place apple slices in a bowl and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the sugar and mix in the Marsala wine. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Cream the butter and remaining 1-cup sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time until well blended.
- Drain the apple slices in a small sieve over a bowl and add the reserved liquid to the egg yolk mixture and stir well.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together and add to the egg yolk mixture. Stir until combined.
- Separately beat the egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks form; fold into the egg yolk batter.
- Spread half of the batter into the prepared pan. Arrange the apple slices in several layers over the batter. Cover the apples with the remaining batter, smoothing it evenly over the top.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the center of the cake.
- Cool 10 minutes before unlatching the sides. Cut into slices and serve warm