Morgan Morano's Double Fudge Chocolate Semifreddo - Episode 2704
SERVES 10 TO 12
- 9 ounces of Gelato (Any flavor; we used 'cioccolato fondente,' dark chocolate.)
- 9 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 16 toounces Italian Meringue (with syrup so that the egg whites are cooked)*
- 1 8-inch round Italian sponge cake
- 1/4 cup Marsala wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons of water
- Place a glass or stainless steel bowl in a freezer to cool for preparation.
- Prepare an 8-inch spring-form pan with aluminum foil covering the bottom of the ring, or simply with the bottom insert - however preferred.
- Place a thin piece of pre-measured 8" round sponge cake on the bottom of the pan so that it fits well.
- Mix 1/4 cup of Marsala wine with 3 tablespoons of water and 1 1/2 tablespoons of granulated sugar. Mix well and with a pastry brush, brush this entire mixture lightly onto the sponge cake and allow the cake to absorb it.
- Place the spring-form pan with sponge cake in the freezer to cool.
- Whip the cream with no added sugar until stiff peaks are formed. Leave in the bowl.
- Prepare the Italian meringue until stiff peaks are formed. Leave in the bowl.
- While preparing the whipped cream and meringue, allow the pre-measured gelato to sit out 10 minutes to soften up to a consistency that will be easy to fold into the meringue and whipped cream.
- Once all three ingredients are ready: Italian meringue, whipped cream, and softened gelato, start by removing the bowl from the freezer and adding the gelato to it. Then, gently fold in the Italian meringue until even colored and the gelato is thoroughly incorporated into the meringue. Next, gently fold in the whipped cream until well incorporated into the mixture.
- With a spatula, scrape the semifreddo mixture into the chilled spring-form pan until full, and using the spatula or an offset spatula, smooth the surface as needed. For a nice presentation, save a cup or two of the mixture to "frost" the cake once it comes out of the freezer.
- Allow to sit in the freezer 3-4 hours, until set.
- Using the help of a small brulée torch or a spatula, remove the side of the cake pan. If there is any excess semifreddo batter, with the help of a spatula, smooth the surface and sides if any semifreddo remained stuck to the ring upon removal.
- Decorate the semifreddo cake with chocolate, berries, nuts, or any other fruit fitting for the gelato inside!
- When serving, allow to sit 5 minutes to help soften to a nice consistency.
- *There are several great recipes for this on-line, some with excellent pictures accompanying the text.
This recipe was featured on Season 27 - Episode 2704.
No comments on this recipe.