Neapolitan Stuffed Artichokes
- 4 medium artichokes
- Juice of three lemons plus lemon wedges for garnish
- 4 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 1 large egg
- 3 anchovy fillets in oil, drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers in salt, rinsed
- 8 ounces well-drained mozzarella, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Clean the artichokes, remove first two layers of the leaves and peel the stems. Cut off the spiny leaf tips and also cut 1/4 inch off the top of each and place the artichokes in boiling salted water with the juice of two lemons.
- Cook the artichokes for about 5 minutes. Drain and plunge them into ice water that also has the juice of a lemon added. Let set for 20 minutes. Then drain upside down on paper towels. Open the artichokes and clean out and discard the hairy choke.
- In a bowl mix the breadcrumbs, grated cheese, egg, anchovy fillets, capers, mozzarella, parsley, salt and pepper to taste and mix to obtain a soft compact mixture.
- Divide and fill the center of each artichoke with some of the filling.
- Place them in a deep pan, like a Dutch oven and add 1/2 cup of water to the bottom of the pan. Add the garlic, and drizzle the tops of the artichokes with olive oil.
- Bake, covered, for about 30 to 35 minutes or until hot and leaves can be pulled off easily.
This recipe was featured on Season 28 - Episode 2813.
Susan L. Consolo
these look delicous, i know you eat the middle stuffing, but do you eat the artichoke too?