Neapolitan-Style Ice Cream Cake - Episode 2704
SERVES 10 to 12
- 8- Your favorite cake baked in anor 9-inch square pan
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups vanilla gelato
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups strawberry gelato
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups pistachio gelato
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- Make your favorite cake in a square cake pan. Make a template that conforms to the shape of the loaf pan you will be using for the semifreddo. Using the template, cut the cake into 4 layers. You may find it easier to bake the cake in two square pans so that the layers are thinner. Once you have the pieces of cake cut to fit nicely in the loaf pan, carefully wrap them individually in plastic wrap and freeze them for an hour or two for easier handling when assembling the cake in the loaf pan.
- Line a loaf pan with aluminum foil and then with plastic wrap, leaving lots of each outside the pan so that the cake can be securely wrapped once it is assembled.
- To assemble, put one piece of cake in the bottom of the pan and spread a layer of vanilla gelato evenly over the top. Add another piece of cake and spread the strawberry gelato over that slice. Put a third piece of cake on top and spread the pistachio gelato over that piece. Put the final piece of cake over the top. Press down gently over the top of the cake so that all the layers are compacted and there are no gaps between the cake and the gelato. (If slices of cake are broken, put these slices in the middle of the cake; this will make cutting easier and final presentation more impressive!)
- Bring up the excess plastic wrap and seal the whole cake tightly. Then do the same with the aluminum foil. Put the cake in the freezer for a couple of hours or up to two days.
- When ready to serve, unwrap the top of the cake carefully and invert pan onto a serving dish; carefully peel away the rest of the foil and plastic wrap.
- Whip the 2 cups of whipping cream with 2 tablespoons sugar and “frost” the cake. Sprinkle top with shaved chocolate if desired. Cut and serve.
This recipe was featured on Season 27 - Episode 2704.
No comments on this recipe.