Norma's Pasta / Pasta alla Norma
SERVES 4 TO 6
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh plum tomatoes, skinned, seeded and diced
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1/4 cup Filippo Berio olive oil
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 6 small eggplant
- 1/3 cup ricotta salata, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- Wash and dry the eggplant; then peel them. Dice uniformly and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan, add the garlic and cook just until the garlic wilts. Stir in the tomatoes, basil and salt and cook uncovered for 15 minutes. Keep the sauce warm.
- In another sauté pan, heat 1/3 cup of the peanut oil and cook the eggplant until golden brown. Add additional oil if the pan appears dry. Drain the pieces on brown paper and set aside.
- Cook the spaghetti in four quarts of rapidly boiling, salted water until al dente. Drain the spaghetti, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water and mix the spaghetti and water with the sauce. Transfer the mixture to a serving platter. Scatter the eggplant over the top and sprinkle with the ricotta salata. Serve immediately.
- Note: You may substitute Provolone or Pecorino cheese for the Ricotta Salata.
This recipe was featured on Season 10 - Episode 1004.