Paccheri with Mushroom Sauce / Paccheri con Crema ai Funghi
Paccheri are normally served with some type of seafood, usually shrimp or lobster. But try them with fresh porcini mushrooms for an exquisite taste treat. No porcini available? Use a mix of fresh mushrooms like oyster, shitake and button. Still a great taste.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2/3 pound fresh mushrooms, wiped clean, stemmed and sliced
- 1/3 cup Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine such as Soave or Corvo White
- 1/2 cup reserved cooking water
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 pound paccheri
- Melt the butter in a medium size saucepan and add the pine nuts and 1 cup of the mushrooms; cook over medium heat until very soft. Puree the mixture and keep warm.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan (12-14 inches). Stir in the garlic and cook until the garlic softens. Add the rest of the mushrooms and cook 3 to 4 minutes. Add the wine and salt and continue to cook for a few minutes.
- Stir in the mushroom puree and keep sauce warm while the paccheri are cooking.
- Cook the paccheri in 2 quarts of boiling salted water until al dente.
- Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water and add the paccheri and water to the sauce. Re heat and mix the paccheri and sauce well. Serve with a grinding of black pepper and a sprinkling of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
This recipe was featured on Season 20 - Episode 2019.