Pastina & Egg Soup with Spinach / Zuppa di Pastina all'Uova e Spinaci
Pastina, those tiny beads of hard semolina pasta, always have a place in chicken soup, and children especially seem to love scooping them up. This version takes minutes to prepare with canned low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth. But if you want to make it using homemade broth, refer to our recipe for making broth ahead of time and freezing it for future use. This recipe can easily be cut in half.
- 2 quarts prepared low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup pastina
- 4 cups washed spinach leaves, torn into small pieces, or 2 packages frozen spinach, defrosted and well drained*
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Bring the broth to a boil in a soup pot, stir in the pastina, cover the pot, and cook for 5 minutes over medium high heat. Lower the heat to medium, stir in the fresh or frozen and defrosted spinach, and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk the eggs and cheese together in a soup tureen or deep bowl.
- Slowly ladle the hot soup into the soup tureen; stir the soup as you ladle. The heat will cook the egg. Serve immediately.
- * Save time by purchasing cleaned, packaged spinach in the produce section of the grocery store.
This recipe was featured on Season 15 - Episode 1520.
I make something like this and it is delicious! Instead of bought broth I boil
Chicken and a little onion with salt and pepper and make a home made broth. Once it’s cooked fully I shred the chicken and add it to the pot after the pastina is cooked. Lastly I add in the spinach. I’ve never added egg. I’m gonna try that tonight. My family (me husband and son) are all getting over the Flu and I think this will be a perfect meal!
I used to buy “egg” pastina. Is it still available? I live in an area where it is difficult to find Italian groceries.
Can I make a batch of this and freeze this soup?
What do you do about the egg/cheese mixture when you have leftovere? I figured 1 egg per 1/4C cheese and make It per 1- bowl of soup. –I hope you know what I mean. TY for a response.
This was excellent. Easy to make and delicious. Thank you. I cut the recipe in half. Next time I think I might double the spinach. Thank you.