Pea Soup with Salted Ricotta Cheese / Minestra di Piselli con Ricotta Salata
Ricotta salata, salted ricotta, is made by heavily salting the whey of sheep’s or cow’s milk. It is left to dry out and harden for several months so it can be grated or crumbled. Ricotta salata cheese gives a special taste and look to this rustic Sardinian soup.
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Filippo Berio olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup ditalini
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup skinned, seeded and diced plum tomatoes
- 1/3 pound ricotta salata cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot, stir in the onion and cook until the onion is soft. Pour the broth into the pot and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the ditalini and cook for about 20 minutes until they are al dente. Stir in the peas and cook for 1 minute. Lower the heat to simmer and add the tomatoes; simmer for 3 or 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into individual soup bowls and sprinkle the cheese over the top.
This recipe was featured on Season 17 - Episode 1713.
No comments on this recipe.