Pear and Apple Tart
Makes one 9 or 10 inch tart
- 2 cups King Arthur unbleached all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into bits
- 2 medium size Yellow Delicious apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium size not-too-soft Anjou or Bartlett pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or fork until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Pat the mixture evenly into a 9 or 10 inch greased cake pan. Set aside.
- Arrange the apples and pear slices on the crust in an overlapping pattern filling in the entire surface.
- Combine the remaining sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg in a small bowl and sprinkle it evenly over the apple slices.
- Bake the tart for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile whisk the egg yolks in a small bowl with the heavy cream. Pour evenly over the apple pear mixture and bake 30 minutes longer or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove the tart from the oven and cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve warm.
- Variation: I sometimes use Cortland apples which also makes a delicious tart.
This recipe was featured on Season 23 - Episode 2320.