Peppers Castellano Style
From nearby Costigliole d’Asti comes this classic dish made with sweet red peppers.
- 6 large sweet red peppers, washed and dried
- 12 thin slices prosciutto di San Daniele
- 12 slices Il Valcasotto a latte crudo*
- Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the peppers on an oiled baking sheet; bake or broil them until blackened. Cool, then skin and cut each pepper in half. Remove all seeds from the inside of the peppers.
- Arrange half of them on an oiled baking sheet and place two slices of prosciutto and two slices of cheese on each one.
- Top with the second half of the peppers. Brush the peppers with olive oil and bake them about 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Serve hot or warm with good bread. Pan Biove is the typical bread of Piedmont.
- *Consider using Fontina or Swiss cheese if you cannot find Il Valcasotto a latte crudo.
This recipe was featured on Season 24 - Episode 2406.