Plum Dandy Sugar Crust Tart
- Makes one 9-inch tart
- The Crust
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1- 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Plum Filling
- 6 large plums, cut into thin slices
- 3/4 cup cranberry juice or water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter until light. Beat in flour, salt and milk until mixture is moist and comes together.
- Press dough into a 9 inch tart pan with removable bottom, making sure to also press dough up the sides. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until crust is golden. Cool to room temperature.
- Place 1 cup of plum slices in a small saucepan, add ¼ cup of the juice or water and cook over medium heat until the slices are very soft and mushy. Transfer them to a fine mesh strainer set over a bowl and press on the slices with a spoon to remove as much pulp as possible. Set aside.
- In the same saucepan off the heat, combine the remaining juice or water, cornstarch, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture is a thick and shiny glaze. Add the reserved plum pulp and mix in well. Cool.
- Arrange the remaining plum slices in the cooled tart shell overlapping the slices to completely cover the shell.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the glaze evenly over the plums. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before cutting into wedges.
- More great tart recipes at www.ciaoitalia.com
No comments on this recipe.