Prato Almond Cake / Mantovana di Prato
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large lemon, juice and zest
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Confectioner’s sugar for sprinkling
- Butter and line an 8 x 1 1/2-inch deep round cake pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt and 2/3 cup of the almonds. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the sugar and butter until well blended. Whisk in the eggs one at a time. Whisk in the lemon juice and zest.
- Combine the flour mixture with the butter mixture and spread the batter in the pan; sprinkle the remaining almonds on top.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until the cake is set and nicely browned.
- Cool and sprinkle with Confectioner’s sugar.
This recipe was featured on Season 29 - Episode 2902.