Quick Chicken Cacciatore / Pollo Cacciatore
SERVES 4 TO 6
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 6 halved boneless chicken breasts, each cut into 2-inch-wide strips
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and diced
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 4 cups chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1 Juice oflemon
- Combine the salt, celery seeds, oregano, rosemary, pepper, and pepper flakes in a plastic bag. Add the chicken strips, close the bag and shake to coat them in the mixture.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan large enough to hold the breast strips in a single layer. If you don't have a large enough pan, brown the strips in batches.
- As they brown, transfer them to a dish. Add the onion, garlic, celery and green pepper to the pan and cook until the mixture softens.
- Raise the heat to high and pour in the wine and allow half of it to evaporate. Lower the heat and stir in the tomatoes and lemon juice. Return the chicken strips with their juices to the pan. Cover and simmer the mixture for 15 minutes.
- Use immediately or refrigerate. Reheat slowly.
- Variation: Fresh sliced mushrooms make a nice addition, as does 1 cup of frozen peas. Add the mushrooms with the celery; add the peas five minutes before the chicken is done.
- Thinking Ahead: Buy and freeze extra chicken breasts to have on hand. Onions and garlic can be minced in batches, wrapped well in plastic wrap and also frozen for future use.
This recipe was featured on Season 29 - Episode 2917.
No comments on this recipe.