Red Pepper Tart with Pepper Sauce
- 4 red bell peppers, broiled, skinned and seeded
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons each roughly chopped basil and parsley
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 basil sprigs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Pinch sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Cut 1 of the peppers in to thin long even strips. Reserve remaining 3 peppers.
- Beat the ricotta cheese with the egg yolks, herbs and half the garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste. Beat well.
- In a separate bowl whisk the whites to soft peaks, then fold in the cheese mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line the base of a lightly oiled 2-pound loaf pan oiled parchment paper. Place 1/3 of the mixture in the pan and spread evenly.
- Arrange half the pepper strips on top in an even layer. Repeat with a cheese layer, then the rest of the strips, and finish with the rest of the cheese mixture.
- Cover pan with foil and place in roasting pan; add hot water along the sides, half way up the pan sides.
- Bake 1 hour. Let cool in water bath, then lift out and chill overnight.
- A few hours before serving, make the sauce.
- Place the remaining 3 roasted peppers in a food processor. Add the remaining garlic, oil and vinegar. Process to a smooth sauce consistency. Sieve and pour into a bowl; add basil, parsley, salt and pepper. Chill sauce until ready to use.
- Turn out the tart, peel off paper and place on serving dish; cut thick slices and serve with toasted bread and sauce on side.
This recipe was featured on Season 23 - Episode 2323.